This signal box was on the west of the line south of today's Chatelherault station and Allanton Loop.
To the north, on the east side, was the south end of the Allanton Colliery Pit Nos 1 and 2. To the south, also on the east, was the start of the Home Farm Colliery which initially ran south east alongside before turning north east. Merryton Colliery was on a loop which ran from south east of the Home Farm Colliery connection and rejoined at Merryton Junction.
The Home Farm Colliery box was replaced in 1915 when the Merryton Colliery closed. The new box closed in 1935 as the collieries had closed.
By 1949 the double track line had become two single track lines running in parallel south from Ferniegair Junction (to the north). The line southwards from Merryton Junction (to the south) had been singled and that junction taken out.
The railway closed altogether in 1969. The formation of the colliery lines and main line survived for years, sleepers were still to be found along their course.
The railway reopened in 2005.
| Allanton Colliery Pit Nos 1 and 2|
Home Farm Colliery
Ferniegair Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Dykehead Signal Box
Bog Colliery Pits Nos 1, 2 and 3
Ross South Signal Box
Ross Yard Rock Crusher and Gantry Crane
Chatelherault Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|