This junction was formed in 1876 when the 1856 Lesmahagow Railway was met by the a new Hamilton to Ferniegair (Caledonian Railway) line, an extension of the Hamilton branch which also created the Hamilton Circle. Ferniegair was the southern junction of a triangular junction.
The original route ran north to Ross Junction and yards. The new line initially struck out parallel and a little further to the east before turning to the west and passing under the original route (and south end of the yards) to reach Haughhead Junction. Both routes were double track and the line continued south as a double track.
Ferniegair Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 were to the north on the Ross line, to its west.
Ferniegair was the site of three stations; the first was a terminus for trains from the south, the second on the Ross line and the third was south of the junction with the junction's signal box on the west side at the north end and a goods bypass down the east side of the station (and connection to Allanton Colliery Pit Nos 1 and 2). There was a signal bridge to the south of the station.
Ferniegair [3rd] station closed in 1916 but the bypass remained in place, bypassing a now removed platform.
The original line south to Coalburn via Tillietudlem was doubled. It was progressively singled again. In 1949 the line south of Ferniegair became two single track lines, the junction at Merryton Junction was taken out and simply became a point of divergence.
South to Dalserf closed in 1964. In 1965 passenger services to Coalburn were withdrawn, north to Ross Junction closed, the box closed and north west to Haughhead Junction was singled. The line remained open to Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries until 1968, cut back to Larkhall Central goods for two months before complete closure.
Following closure the trackbed was abandoned, used sometimes as a dirt road and became overgrown. The girder bridge over what had been four lines remained.
The trackbed was cleared, bridge removed and a new single track electrified railway built from Haughhead Junction to Larkhall. It re-opened in 2005. In the vicinity of the junction there is today the Allanton Loop.
| Allanton Loop|
Ferniegair Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Allanton Colliery Pit Nos 1 and 2
Ross South Signal Box
Home Farm Colliery Signal Box
Ross Yard Rock Crusher and Gantry Crane
Home Farm Colliery
Chatelherault Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1949||Lesmahagow Railway|
Merryton Junction taken out. Lines now ran north as two single track lines in parallel to Ferniegair Junction which becomes the new point of division.
Brocketsbrae to Hamilton (Ferniegair Junction) closed to passengers.
Dalserf Junction to Ferniegair Junction closed to freight.