Inchgreen Goods

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Inchgreen Goods (1886-1961)

Opened on the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway.


Description

The goods yard was on the north side of the Port Glasgow Road. It competed with the Caledonian Railway's Bogston Goods on the south side of the road. The sidings were at the end of a double track branch from Cartsburn Junction. It opened as part of the Glasgow and South Western Railway's railway to the 1886 James Watt Dock.

A considerable area of land was reclaimed for the railways and dock facilities at Inchgreen. There had been timber ponds on the foreshore.

The line descended from Cartsburn Junction before crossing over the Caledonian Railway immediately west of Bogston station and east of Greenock Ladyburn Shed before crossing the Port Glasgow Road and the approach to Inchgreen Goods. Reaching the goods yard required two reversals, one near the Inchgreen Gas Works and another approaching the James Watt Dock (where the line met with the Caledonian Railway's James Watt Dock branch). After this second reversal the line passed under the line descending from Cartsburn Junction.

The goods yard had a branch running north to the Inchgreen Gas Works.

Around 1961 the line closed, the former Caledonian Railway branch from Bogston replacing it. This closure was to allow the construction of the Inchgreen Graving Dock which cut through the first reversing spur and east end of the goods yard. The dock opened in 1964. The west end of the goods yard was still served via the Caledonian Railway.

The last of the lines in the area were closed around 1996. The approach to the goods yard being used as a reversing spur to reach the United Molasses depot at the James Watt Dock.

The inch was a small island offshore. It was located just to the east of the north end of the Inchgreen Graving Dock.


Tags

Goods yard sidings

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map