Opened at the James Watt Dock, completed in 1886 for the Greenock Harbour Trust.
The last of the sidings served a molasses depot from which tanks were taken to Glenochil Yeast, by the former Menstrie station. A reversal was required at Cambus, originally carried out in Alloa Marshalling Yard. Latterly shunting was carried out by gravity shunting there being no loop at a the depot. 'Cripples' were shunted out onto the quayside until they could be attended to. Many of the quayside lines remained intact until the end, but unused.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Upper Port Glasgow
| United Molasses|
Garvel Dry Dock Goods
Clyde Foundry and Engine Works
Cartsdyke Shipbuilding Yard
Greenock Ladyburn Shed
Garvel Dock Branch Junction
Cartsburn Shipbuilding Yard
Greenock Works and Shed
Balwhirley Tunnel North
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1873||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Branch to Garvel Dry Dock and James Watt Dock branch authorised.
|/ /1880||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Proposed Garvel Dry Dock and James Watt Dock branch abandoned and a new route authorised.
|/ /1881||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Inchgreen Branch to Garvel Dry Dock and James Watt Dock authorised.
|/ /1886||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Inchgreen Branch to Garvel Dry Dock and James Watt Dock opened.
|06/08/1886||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
James Watt Dock branch opened.
|25/08/1886||Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway|
Branch to Garvel Dry Dock and James Watt Dock branch opened.
|/ /1961||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Inchgreen Branch to Garvel Dry Dock and James Watt Dock closed.
Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in the L.M.S.Days
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History