This double track girder viaduct crosses the River Kelvin close to its confluence with the River Clyde. It previously carried a footbridge on its south side. It was built a little way up the Kelvin leaving space for Meadowside Shipbuilding Yard and graving dock (predating the railway) on the west bank and Pointhouse Shipbuilding Yard on the east bank.
The bridge still stands, without footway, on the Glasgow Queen Street Low Level and Glasgow Central Low Level lines, Partick station is to the north west and Finnieston West Junction is to the south east. Two dual carriageways now cross the Kelvin downstream of the railway. The Riverside Museum is not far to the south.
With the opening of the Glasgow Central Railway in 1896 a low single track girder bridge was added directly below, also crossing the River Kelvin. This connected Partick Central station to the low level lines of the Stobcross Railway at Yorkhill, close to the Pointhouse Shipbuilding Yard. This second low level bridge no longer exists.
Merkland Street [Subway]
Hyndland Power Box
| Inglis Boilerworks|
Pointhouse Shipbuilding Yard
Merkland Street Tunnel
Finnieston West Junction
Tod and McGregor's Graving Dock
Meadowside Shipbuilding Yard
Kelvinhaugh Refuse Despatch Works
Water Row Ship Yard
Govan Ship Yard [1st]
Govan Shipyard [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways