Pointhouse Shipbuilding Yard (1862-1962)
Served by the Stobcross Railway.
This shipyard was on the east bank of the River Kelvin close to its confluence with the River Clyde. It was south of the Kelvin Viaduct of the Stobcross Railway.
The yard was founded by A and J Inglis. It was responsible for building many vessels for the North British Railway, particularly paddle steamers; noteably the PS Waverley [IV] of 1946 and the PS Maid of the Loch of 1953.
There was a single slip dock, vessels being launched towards the Clyde. Works buildings were located north and south of the Kelvin Viaduct.
The site was served by the 1874 Stobcross Railway, by a siding which dropped down the south side of the line from the east end of Yorkhill station on that line, approach being from the east. After 1896 it was additionally served by a line which crossed the Kelvin under the Kelvin Viaduct from the Glasgow Central Railway.
The yard closed in 1962. After a period of dereliction warehousing was built here, near Yorkhill Quay. A new dual carriageway was built over the northern part of the site and the area landscaped with a walkway and rounded being built.
The site was cleared again, and Yorkhill Quay infilled, around 2006 in preparation for redevelopment. A second dual carriageway opened at the north end of the site.
The south end of the site, the confluence of the Rivers Clyde and Kelvin, is now Glasgow's transport museum, the Riverside Museum
Merkland Street [Subway]
Hyndland Power Box
Other railway and industry locations
Pointhouse Shipbuilding Yard
Tod and McGregor^s Graving Dock
Finnieston West Junction
Merkland Street Tunnel
Meadowside Shipbuilding Yard
Kelvinhaugh Refuse Despatch Works
Water Row Ship Yard
Govan Ship Yard [1st]
Govan Shipyard [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways