This is a two platform station with red sandstone buildings and glazed canopies in the east of the centre of Dumfries. The station is noted for its fine station gardens.
It was a relocated and improved station - with three through lines and bays at north end. This replaced a two platform station on roughly the same site. That replaced a two platform through station (Dumfries [2nd]) at the locomotive shed site which in turn replaced a terminus in the goods yard (Dumfries [1st] of 1848).
The main building, on the northbound platform, is of two stories and attic with single storey wings. The southbound plaform building, a single storey, dates from 1885. The station is canopied and has a glazed circulating area. The bay platforms, for services to Lockerbie and west to Stranraer Harbour and other locations on the Port Road, have been infilled resulting in a large glass covered area. There are a number of small timber buildings in the station area including a curved timber platform stall.
The signal box, 'Dumfries Station' which opened in 1957, is 'B' listed. When opened it replaced several boxes including
- Dumfries Goods Junction (St Marys)
- Lockerbie Junction (Dumfries No 1)
- Pleasance Junction (Dumfries No 2)
It became simply 'Dumfries' when 'Dumfries South' box (Noblehill Junction) closed around 1993.
The circulating area is used for a farmer's market.
The Carlisle bound platform building is a cafe The Station Cafe .
Dumfries is one of the stations 'adopted' by the South West Railway Adopters Gardening Group (Login required) and is notable for its beautifully maintained station gardens.
On the west side of the station, across Station Road, stands Station Hotel Dumfries (1897).
| Dumfries Goods [CR]|
Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR]
Dumfries Goods Junction
Ramsey Place Junction
Maxwelltown Goods Junction
Dumfries Gas Works
Station Hotel Dumfries
Peter Pan Moat Brae
Robert Burns House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Above Dumfries station, on high ground to the east, stood the 'signalling tower'. This was a highly distinctive brick built octagonal building with a window on each side topped with castellations. It was fitted with two flagpoles - a tall one to indicate points were set for the main line and a shorter for the branch. These were replaced in 1860 with signals. It was originally at the Castle Douglas junction, opened with the line, before moved higher up in anticipation of the opening of the Lockerbie route.
The tower was replaced with a signal box in 1883 and remained standing as a landmark afterwards. Demolished late 1970s/early 1980s.
|/ /1860||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. Line given running powers to run into Lockerbie (Caledonian Railway) and Dumfries (Glasgow and South Western Railway) stations.
|19/04/1861||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
Company to use Dumfries permanently.
|01/09/1863||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
The Caledonian Railway associated Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway is opened giving the company access to Dumfries. In response the Portpatrick Railway applies for running powers over the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway to Dumfries and the Caledonian Railway negotiates running the Portpatrick Railway, a blow to the Glasgow and South Western Railway which had considered the Portpatrick line to be within its territory.
|/ /1865||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway. The Caledonian Railway grants running powers to the London and North Western Railway between Carlisle Citadel, Lockerbie and Dumfries.
|/ /1902||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
Dumfries turntable replaced with a 60ft one.
|03/05/1943||Cairn Valley Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Moniaive to Dumfries (Cairn Valley Junction) closed to passengers.
|04/07/1949||Cairn Valley Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Moniaive to Dumfries (Cairn Valley Junction) closed to freight.
|19/05/1952||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
Dumfries to Lockerbie closed to passengers.
Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction (excluded) to Dumfries (excluded) closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic. On the surviving part of the line Castle Kennedy and Dunragit stations closed.
|18/04/1966||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
Dumfries to Lockerbie closed to freight.
|18/11/1966||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
Lockerbie to Dumfries closed.
|/ /1990||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Dumfries to Cargenbridge closed. The line was left in place except for sidings at Cargenbridge.
|/ /2002||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Traincrew depot opened at Dumfries.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History