This junction was at the north end of Dumfries station and was formed between the 1859 Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway and the 1863 Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway. To reach the D&CDR the DL&LR crossed the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway main line) on the level.
The Castle Douglas route terminated in the bay platforms at the north, west side, of Dumfries station with a connection to the G&SWR main line just north of the station. This route was a protege of the G&SWR.
The Caledonian Railway had running powers over the D&CDR to reach the Portpatrick Railway, of which it was part owner, and thus connected to the D&CDR rather than the G&SWR main line, crossing it on the level north of the station and the D&CDR^s connection to the G&SWR main line.
The signal box was on the west side of the line alongside the junction, the connection of the DL&LR and the D&CDR.
Lockerbie Junction was to prove particularly advantageous to the Caledonian when it took lease of the Portpatrick Railway between 1864 and 1885, making that line an extension of the Caledonian rather than the geographically more appropriate G&SWR. After 1885 it settled down to being a branch.
The Caledonian did not have its own passenger station in Dumfries, using the bay platforms (now filled in) at the current station as its terminus. It did have its own large goods yard Dumfries Goods [CR] to the east of the passenger station.
The box was renamed Dumfries No 1, probably by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway when all lines came under its ownership in 1923.
The Lockerbie route closed to regular passenger use in 1952.
In 1957 the box closed, replaced by Dumfries Station Power Box. Lines were realigned, the Lockerbie route making a connection to the G&SWR main line with a cross over to the bay platforms north of the station.
The Port Road - both the routes of the former Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway and former Portpatrick Railway - closed as a through route in 1965, cut back to Maxwelltown Factory Siding.
The Lockerbie route closed completely in 1966.
The Maxwelltown Factory Siding closed in 1994 and the Port Road was cut back to a short siding.
| Dumfries St Mary^s Shed [CR]|
Dumfries Goods Junction
Dumfries Goods [CR]
Maxwelltown Goods Junction
Ramsey Place Junction
Dumfries Gas Works
Maxwelltown Creamery Siding
Station Hotel Dumfries
Peter Pan Moat Brae
Robert Burns House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn