Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Station code: KNS National Rail ScotRail
This is a two platform station. The station has few facilities. A footbridge crosses between the platforms.
The main station building was on the eastbound (Glasgow bound) platform. The cottage style station building was extended with a fine portion looking out over the platform with large glazed windows. The Glasgow bound platform was very long, cut back in more recent years. Having been a local line the railway was extended to Kilmarnock in 1873 and the railway become joint Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway although Caledonian architecture continued to prevail.
There was a Caledonian Railway style signal box at the west end of the westbound platform.
Beyond the west end of the station, over Boydston Road, was a double track junction for the single track branch to Spiersbridge. This was later reduced to a single lead junction.
Opposite the junction, on the north side, were two dead end sidings approached from the east.
The branch closed in 1960. The signal box closed in 1967.
The line between Glasgow Central and Barrhead is supported and promoted by the South West Glasgow Community Rail Partnership .
Kennishead Viaduct is to the west.
Priesthill and Darnley
Bellahouston Park Halt
| Kennishead Viaduct|
Eastwood Signal box
Thornliebank Dye Print and Bleach Works
Auldhouse Coal Depot
Giffnock Brick Works
Washwall^s Old Siding
Cartcraigs Goods Depot
Darnley Lime Works
Washwall^s New Siding
Victoria Colliery [Nitshill]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|31/01/1960||Spiersbridge Branch (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway)|
Thornliebank Goods to Kennishead (excluded) closed to public traffic (private sidings remained in use).
|18/03/1960||Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
Kennishead closed to goods.
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways