This is a three platform station to the south west of Glasgow. One platform, on the north side, is a bay platform for Glasgow. It enjoys a commuter service to Glasgow Central and is also served by longer distance trains between Glasgow and Carlisle. A signal box (dating from 1894) still stands to the east of the station.
Barrhead opened as the terminus of the line from Glasgow in 1848. The line was extended west to Crofthead in 1855.
There were station buildings on both platforms. The main building was Italianate in style.
The goods yard was on the north side, making a trailing connection east of the station.
There were two coal yards. The east yard was on the south side of the yard making a trailing connection directly east of the station. This yard had turnplates leading to further sidings. The west yard was to the west of the station and on the north side of the line making a trailing connection and facing connection to a turntable from which sidings served the coal yard. Going south west from the station the line was single track, it was double track going to Glasgow.
The line from Neilston [1st] was extended to Stewarton in 1871 and Kilmarnock in 1873. This was a joint Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway extension. The line to Kilmarnock was double track.
A signal box opened in 1871 which was replaced in 1877. This box was at the same location as the present box (but was not the same building).
The goods yard had a fine four road goods shed. This had a pair of long headshunts.
The box was again replaced in 1894 with the present box, originally called ^Barrhead North^. This box is at the Glasgow end of the southbound platform.
The box opened when a new double track goods line was laid in between the Glasgow end of the station and ^Barrhead North^ box, closer to Glasgow. This loop was on the south side of the line and the new expanded coal yard sidings led off from this, making a facing connection.
The coal yard to the west was replaced with a turntable, useful for local services terminating here.
In the immediate station vicinity there was little change for several years, the Yorkshire Works (Copper) opened to the north, served by sidings from the east.
Further from the station there were considerable developments. See Barrhead South Junction, Barrhead North Junction, Barrhead Central and Barrhead New.
^Barrhead North^ box closed in 1910 when it was replaced with ^Barrhead Junction^ box. This was on the south side of the line mid way between the former north box (Glasgow end of the goods loop) and Barrhead South Junction (for Barrhead Central). (Barrhead Junction box was formerly located at Barrhead North Junction which had been called ^Barrhead Junctions^.)
Barrhead Junction box closed in 1967 and Barrhead South box was renamed simply ^Barrhead^.
Barrhead station was rebuilt in 1978. The building reuses some of the stone from the older original 1948 building, including the date stone.
Both the coal yard and goods yard are closed and now in other uses. The impressive goods shed still stands.
The line south to Kilmarnock was singled again in 1973.
The line between Glasgow Central and Barrhead is supported and promoted by the South West Glasgow Community Rail Partnership .
Priesthill and Darnley
| Barrhead Goods|
Barrhead Mineral Depot
Barrhead Central Box
Barrhead Gas Works
Shanks Tubal Works [1st]
Shanks Tubal Works [2nd]
Shanks Victorian Pottery Works
Barrhead South Junction
Arthurlie Cotton and Bleach Works
Blackbyres Junction [CR]
Blackbyres Junction [G and SW]
Barrhead North Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|29/09/1848||Glasgow Southern Terminal Railway
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
Line opened from South Side [GB and NDR] to Barrhead. Stations at South Side [GB and NDR], Pollokshaws, Crofthead [GBK], Nitshill and Barrhead
|/ /1853||Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
Crofthead extension from Barrhead approved.
|/ /1873||Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
William Tite^s building at South Side [GB and NDR] and South Side [CR] demolished to make way for the City of Glasgow Union Railway lines connecting to the Barrhead line.
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways