This is a two platform station with a lattice footbridge. The platforms are slightly staggered.
The main station building was on the eastbound platform with a waiting room opposite. Midway along the eastbound platform was a war memorial.
To the east is a substantial masonry bridge where the railway crosses over Nitshill Road at an angle. The bridge is not aligned with the railway but with the road and as a result it is almost a tunnel.
This bridge separated the passenger station (west) from the goods yard (east). The goods sidings were on the south side of the line, approached from the west over the bridge. The more southerly of these served a loading bank and there were exchange sidings by the main line. Between these, one siding continued south east to the Nitshill Chemical Works and south to the Darnley Lime Works (which had tramways to quarries). In addition, a branch formerly ran north east to the Victoria Pit, for ironstone. The signal box was on the north side of the goods sidings east of the road bridge.
The signal box was replaced in 1897. These was a rearrangement of sidings. With the Victoria Pit line closed a pair of sidings, approached from the east, were laid. A goods shed was added to the goods yard. The new signal box was on the south side of the line, between the sidings and running lines.
The signal box closed in 1974.
The line between Glasgow Central and Barrhead is supported and promoted by the South West Glasgow Community Rail Partnership .
Priesthill and Darnley
| Nitshill Chemical Works|
Victoria Colliery [Nitshill]
Levern Water Viaduct
Darnley Lime Works
Barrhead North Junction
Barrhead South Junction
Shanks Victorian Pottery Works
Blackbyres Junction [G and SW]
Shanks Tubal Works [2nd]
Blackbyres Junction [CR]
Shanks Tubal Works [1st]
Barrhead Central Box
Barrhead Mineral Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|29/09/1848||Glasgow Southern Terminal Railway
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
Line opened from South Side [GB and NDR] to Barrhead. Stations at South Side [GB and NDR], Pollokshaws, Crofthead [GBK], Nitshill and Barrhead
|/ /1896||Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway|
Authorisation to modify Nitshill bridge.
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways