Glasgow Southern Terminal Railway

Introduction

This very short line and terminus (Glasgow South Side [GB and NDR]) was promoted to replace the original Glasgow terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway line.

The line opened in 1848. Approval for merger with Barrhead line was before opening but it was 1849 before this went ahead.

The line was later incorporated into the approach to Glasgow St Enoch. A very short portion at Langside Junction remains open today.



Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a junction on the approach to Glasgow St Enoch from the south until 1973.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
Stanier Pacific 46227 Duchess of Devonshire heading south through Langside Junction on the afternoon of 5 May 1956. The train is the Saturday ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
The 5.30pm ex-St Enoch runs south through Langside Junction on the first day of August 1955 en route to Carlisle. Locomotives are Fairburn tank 42122 ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/08/1955
Standard class 5 4-6-0 73060 brings a Carlisle - St Enoch train through Langside Junction on 8 August 1964. [Ref query 29 August 2017] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/08/1964
The 12.50pm from St Enoch runs through Langside Junction on 8 September 1954. Jubilee 4-6-0 45713 Renown is piloting Clan Pacific 72008 Clan ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/09/1954
4 of 5 images. more


This terminus was located at the junction of Pollokshaws Road and Cathcart Street (now Cathcart Road). Initially it was the Glasgow terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston direct Railway. An eastern portion was added to the station, opened with the Clydesdale Junction Railway and Hamilton branch. The terminus was on the south side of the River Clyde, a little distant from old ...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
City of Glasgow Union Railway
A St Enoch - Kilmarnock local passing the former South Side station shortly after commencing its journey on 20 July 1961. At the head of the train is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Black 5 4-6-0 no 44992, with a train of empty stock destined for St Enoch, photographed alongside the former South Side station on 20 July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
BR Standard class 5 4-6-0 no 73057 passing South Side on 20 July 1961 with a train from Dumfries bound for St Enoch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
Stanier Pacific 46244 King George VI passing the site of South Side station on 20 July 1961 with a St Enoch - Carlisle train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1961
4 of 5 images. more