Barrhead New (1905-1905)
Opened on the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway.
This station was never opened. There were two platforms on a raised line complete with platform buildings with canopies. The station at street level bore some resemblance to Dumbarton Central street level buildings.
At the south end of the southbound platform was the signal box. The box opened despite the failure of the line to open to passengers. At the south end of the station were sidings for the Barrhead Gas Works, approached by reversal from the south.
This Caledonian Railway station was on the south side of Mill Road. On the north side was Glasgow and South Western Railway's Barrhead Central terminus. To the north again was Barrhead which remains open today.
The box (renamed 'Barrhead South') closed in 1923. There was a water tank a the station. This survived the demolition of the station buildings and singling of the line and was used by the goods trains to Barrhead South.
Nothing remains of the station today as the line was raised and has since been lowered and landscaped. To the west a small portion of Barrhead Viaduct survives.
Priesthill and Darnley
Other railway and industry locations
Shanks Tubal Works [1st]
Barrhead Central Box
Arthurlie Cotton and Bleach Works
Shanks Tubal Works [2nd]
Shanks Victorian Pottery Works
Barrhead South Junction
Aurs Burn Viaduct
Barrhead North Junction
Blackbyres Junction [CR]
Blackbyres Junction [G and SW]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|