This was a terminus built at Wellbank in the east of Kirriemuir, opened in 1855. Latterly it had a main platform, on the north side of the line, with a loop and a short bay on the north side. Sidings were on either side of the line and there was a locomotive shed at the east end Kirriemuir Shed.
The arrival of the railway encouraged the opening of a linen works alongside the station, to the west. There was also some house building.
The signal box (1888) was at the east end of the station, on the south side of the line sandwiched between the single track from Kirriemuir Junction and Kirriemuir Shed.
The station was rebuilt before 1900, the original station being on a smaller scale on the same site.
The station closed to passengers in 1952 and the signal box closed in 1957. The line itself closed in 1965.
The station has been largely obliterated by subsequent house building, however the linen works building remains and a loading bank on the south side of the former station remains.
JM Barrie's Birthplace , creator of Peter Pan.
| Kirriemuir Shed|
Turfbeg Road Bridge
Forfar South Junction
Canmore Jute Works
Station Linen Works
Forfar Shed [1st]
J M Barrie's Birthplace
Peter Pan Park
St Orland's Stone
Loch of Forfar
Eassie Sculptured Stone
Forfar Road Level Crossing [Eassie]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1876||Kirriemuir Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorised to buy land for extension of Kirriemuir station.
|04/08/1952||Kirriemuir Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Kirriemuir to Forfar (Kirriemuir Junction) closed to passengers.
|21/06/1965||Kirriemuir Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Kirriemuir to Kirriemuir Junction (excluded) closed to goods.