Linwood Car Plant

Location type

Works

Name and dates

Linwood Car Plant (1963-1981)

Served by the Pressed Steel Co Limited.

Description

These works were built on the south side of Linwood Road, opposite Pressed Steel Co Ltd on the north side, by the Rootes Group. Rootes were required by the Government to establish the factory at this location for political rather than manufacturing reasons. It was built south east of the town of Linwood which expanded with its opening.

Pressed Steel Co Ltd prepared the car bodies in a new factory built alongside (to the west of) their existing Linwood works. The car bodies were transported to the car plant.

The Rootes portion of the works consisted of two large sheds and an office block to the north (machine shop to the east and assembly to the west) and a die-cast plant further to the east.

Completed cars were dispatched by rail from the Pressed Steel Co Ltd sidings, running south by the Glasgow and South Western Railway main line, whereas parts travelled in the reverse direction.

Chrysler took over in 1967 and Peugeot Talbot in 1978.

The factory closed in 1981, after the final Talbot Sunbeam was produced in May. The Pressed Steel Co Ltd works was demolished first and Rootes buildings around 1996.

The works site is now an industrial estate and the Pressed Steel Co Ltd site is a retail park.

Local

The Imp Site

Tags

Factory car plant manufacturing

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
09/05/2021

Dates

  /  /1960Linwood Pressed Steel
Opened before Linwood Car Plant.
  /05/1981Paisley and Barrhead District Railway
St James Junction to Linwood Car Plant closed to freight (track remains until 1987). Alternative date 21/10/1984.