This junction opened in 1892 when a new curve through Troon station, at a location better serving the town, opened between Lochgreen and Barassie Junction. The new alignment also allowed an approach to Troon Harbour Goods from the south.
It was a double track junction with the signal box on the east side.
The original alignment settled down to become a route for express and goods trains. Troon [2nd] closed to regular traffic in 1892, only being used by excursion traffic afterwards. (Troon [1st] was the original terminus of the line from Kilmarnock and was located in the harbour.)
The junction was taken out and box closed in 1982 when the line closed to as far north as the Barassie PW Depot. It remained open as far as the Troon [2nd] station before being cut back again in the early 1990s.
The remaining route through Troon station was electrified in 1986 and remains open through the former junction^s site.
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
| Troon Junction|
Barassie Carriage and Wagon Works
Monkton Oil Sidings
Burnfoot Signal Box
Barassie PW Depot
Arnott, Young and Co [Troon]
Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard
Troon Harbour Goods
Prestwick Oil Siding [1st]
Slough of Despond
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|