Lockerbie Shed (1863-1931)
This shed was on the east side of Lockerbie station. It was a two road shed with an approach from the south and a turntable siding to its east. There was a water tank on the east side of the shed yard.
The shed probably opened with the opening of the Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway, a local line but backed by the Caledonian Railway and part of great ambitions. The shed would provide motive power for that route. It particularly gained importance when the Caledonian Railway took over the running of the Portpatrick Railway in 1864 for a period of 21 years.
The parent shed was Beattock Shed.
The shed's duties were taken over by Dumfries Shed in 1931, except immediately local duties.
The Lochmaben route closed to passengers in 1952 and completely in 1966.
The building survived into the 1980s.
Other railway and industry locations
Water of Milk Viaduct
Kirtlebridge Brick Works Signal Box
Ironhirst Signal Box
Thomas Carlyle^s Birthplace
Mossfoot Ammunition Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|