Morningside Junction (1864-1951)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
Opened on the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway).
This junction was formed in 1864 between the Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway) and the 1844 extension to Morningside [CR] of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
Access to the Cleland line was from the north east, the terminus at Morningside. The terminus was to the immediate north east of the junction. (The line was continued east from the terminus by the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway later part of the North British Railway system).
A little to the south west was Stirling Road Junction which the Wishaw and Coltness reached in 1842 to make its approach to the Coltness Iron Works. That alignment ran north from Stirling Road and the Cleland alignment also ran north, in parallel and to its east.
A signal box opened at Morningside Junction in 1867. The box was on the east side just south of the bridge over the Auchter Water.
The Cleland line and Morningside [CR] closed to passengers in 1930. The signal box survived until 1942. The Cleland route closed north of the former Newmains station in 1947 and closed to Newmains in 1951 when Morningside Junction ceased to be a junction. With the closure of the Kingshill Collieries in 1974 the line closed altogether.
A coal loading pad, on a short branch from Stirling Road Junction, opened here in the 1990s (Watsonhead Loading Pad). It closed not long afterwards and the line closed around 1994.
Other railway and industry locations
Allanton Iron Foundry
Watsonhead Loading Pad
Brick and tile works
Allanton Brick and Tile Works
Chapel Colliery Junction
Coltness Branch Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)