This works was located on the west side of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway and north of the A775. It was initially a malleable iron works. This was the first malleable iron works in Scotland to use Henry Cort's puddling process.
The works was originally served by a short branch which ran north west from the north end of Holytown [1st] station. Lines from the branch to the works continued west and north to coal pits.
With expansion of the works eastwards it covered the site of the original branch close to the W&C and a new connection making a trailing connection to the northbound line north of Mossend station was installed. The works became and iron and steel works. Slag was dumped, by rail, to the north of the site and the colliery line to the west remained, now serving Hattonrigg Colliery Pits Nos 3,4 (also served from the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway).
William Beardmore & Co Ltd took over the site in 1905 and rebuilt the works. This incarnation of the works survived until 1915 when a new larger Mossend Steel Works was built just to the north west, replacing the older works.
Bothwell Park Halt
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Mossend Steel Works|
Mossend Concrete Works
Mossend West Junction
Mossend No 1 Junction
Mossend No 3 Junction
Mossend North Junction
Mossend Marshalling Yard
Hattonrig Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Engine Pit (Coal)
Milnwood Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Rise Pit (Coal)
Thankerton No 1 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1905||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Mossend Iron and Steel Works purchased and reconditioning begins.
|/ /1908||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Mossend Iron and Steel Works re-building complete.
|/ /1915||William Beardmore & Co Ltd|
Construction of new Mossend Steel Works begins. The new works was larger and west of the original Mossend Iron and Steel Works which was demolished.