Omoa Iron Works (1789-1868)
This small iron works was to the north west of today's Cleland. The site is now a grassy area bordered to the north east by Omoa Road, south east by Chapel Road and the Tillan Burn to the west.
The works was built around 1787-9 for Colonel William Dalrymple.
A network of waggonways extended to the works from various coal pits. One extended to collieries at Newarthill, opened around 1813.
The Wishaw and Coltness Railway's Cleland branch served the works. This opened in 1834, approaching the works from the west with final approach from the south west.
A second point of entry to the works was built with the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) from Omoa Siding, although this opened in 1869, one year after closure of the works.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book described it thus
These Works are on the East bank of the Tillon Burn and Comprises three blast furnaces with Necessary appendages for the Smelting of Iron ore to Pig Iron Mr. Robert Stewart is the proprietor and occupier.
Other railway and industry locations
Omoa Iron Works Signal Box
Knownoblehill Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Spindleside Colliery Pits Nos 6 and 7
Townhead Colliery Pit No 43
Knownoble Colliery Pit No 2
Knownoble Colliery Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|