This former canal ran east from Port Dundas to Coatbridge and on to Faskine, near Calderbank.
The canal carried coal from the collieries east of the city to Glasgow and served the growing iron industry which led to the development of Coatbridge around a bridge over the canal.
Construction took some time. There was a flight of locks, duplicated as traffic grew and inclined plane shiplift at Blackhill.
Portions remain today but the canal is not open.
|/ /1770||Monkland Canal|
Canal and associated waggonways authorised. Construction begins at Sheepford (later Sheepford Locks). Engineer; James Watt.
|/ /1773||Monkland Canal|
Project partly abandoned due to lack of money as the Ayr Bank is liquidated, canal only runs from Sheepford (later Sheepford Locks) to Blackhill (later Blackhill Locks).
|/ /1790||Monkland Canal|
Andrew Stirling of Drumpellier (Drumpeller) and William Stirling and Company take over canal and decide to extend it west to the Forth and Clyde Canal in Glasgow and east to Calderbank. Extensions authorised.
|/ /1790||Monkland Canal|
Canal extended eastwards, set of locks at Sheepford.
|/ /1792||Monkland Canal|
Dam built on North Calder Water to control water flowing into the canal.
|/ /1793||Monkland Canal|
Forth and Clyde Canal
Monkland Canal and Forth and Clyde Canal joined by a new section of canal at the Blackhill Locks.
|/ /1794||Monkland Canal|
|/ /1799||St Rollox Chemical Works|
Charles Tennant and Charles Mackintosh open the St Rollox Chemical Works (Tennants Works), on the Monkland Canal in Glasgow, an alkali works for the production of bleaching liquor and powder.
|/ /1800||Legbrannock Railway|
Opened by William Dixon (Senior) to move coal from the Legbrannock Colliery, on the Woodhall Estate, to the Monkland Canal. (Alternative date 1813.)
|/ /1813||Legbrannock Railway|
Opened from Legbrannock Colliery to the Monkland Canal by William Dixon (Senior).
|/ /1813||Monkland Canal|
Alterations to details of original Act.
|/ /1819||Monkland Canal|
At Faskine Basin the Vulcan, the first iron-hulled passenger boat, is launched.
|/ /1824||Calder Ironworks Waggonway|
Opened to connect works to Monkland Canal.
|/ /1824||Calder Ironworks Waggonway|
Opened from Calder Iron works to Monkland Canal.
|/ /1825||Charles Tennant|
Charles Tennant, one of the promoters of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway, visits the Stockton and Darlington Railway with his family. Local suppliers and mines further afield via the Monkland Canal were struggling to meet the coal demands of the St Rollox Chemical Works.
|/ /1828||Alexander Baird|
Construction of Gartsherrie Iron Works begins, a blast furnace on the east side of the Monkland Canal^s Gartsherrie branch.
|/ /1828||Monkland Canal|
Gartsherrie, Hornock and Summerlee Branch of canal opened, to serve the under construction Gartsherrie Iron Works, Summerlee Iron Works (after 1836) and Howes Basin.
Short branch canal to Dundyvan Basin under construction.
|/ /1836||Monkland Canal|
Short Dundyvan Basin branch opened.
|/ /1843||William Baird & Co|
16 blast furnaces now in operation at Gartsherrie Iron Works with an annual capacity of 100,000 tons, 8 new blast furnaces opened on the west bank of the Monkland Canal^s Gartsherrie branch.
Line authorised with permission for the Monkland Canal to buy the railway.
|/ /1846||Monkland CanalForth and Clyde Canal|
Monkland Canal authorised to be taken over by the Forth and Clyde Canal.
|01/11/1849||Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Glasgow Buchanan Street opened on a new extension which branched off at Milton Junction and ran parallel to the original line before passing under it and the Monkland Canal in a tunnel. English trains via the Caledonian Railway main line are diverted from South Side [CR] to the new more suitable station.
|/ /1850||Monkland Canal|
Traffic reaches its peak.
|/ /1851||Drumpeller Railway
Forth and Clyde Canal|
The Drumpeller Railway is purchased by the Forth and Clyde Canal (not the Monkland Canal with which it connected).
|/ /1860||Monkland Canal|
Baillieston Shed in use at Nackerty on railway.
|/ /1865||City of Glasgow Union Railway
Authorisation for a deviation of the Monkland Canal.
|/ /1867||Forth and Clyde Canal
Forth and Cart Canal
Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company)
Forth and Clyde Canal (Forth and Clyde Navigation) including the Port Dundas branch, Monkland Canal, Forth and Cart Canal and various assets such as the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company) and Drumpeller Railway, bought by the Caledonian Railway to compete with the North British Railway in the Forth - Clyde Valley. The North British Railway is given running powers over the Grangemouth Railway (Forth and Clyde Canal Company). Caledonian Railway given running powers over the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway to Larbert Junction
|/ /1867||Monkland Canal|
Dundyvan Basin Branch of the Monkland Canal absorbed by the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1867||Monkland Canal
The Monkland Canal is absorbed by the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1872||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
New alignment opens with a bridge which takes the line over Monkland Canal, West Canal Street and Bank Street in central Coatbridge. The junction with the Sheepford Branch (Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway) is taken out and a new alignment laid in to the south which crossed the Dundyvan Basin canal branch.
|/ /1872||Whitelaw Fountain|
In memory of Alexander Whitelaw, partner in William Baird & Co, who organised the raising of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway onto a bridge in 1847, rather than crossing the road over the Monkland Canal in Coatbridge with a level crossing.
|/ /1873||Monkland Canal|
The Vulcan, the first iron-hulled passenger boat, is withdrawn from service.
|/ /1882||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lock Street Viaduct built over the Monkland Canal to extend the line from Whifflet Upper to Airdrie [CR].
|/ /1882||Monkland Canal|
Authorisation to abandon a portion of canal at Blochairn. By the Blochairn Iron Works, allowing the Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway) to occupy its site on the south side of the works.
|/ /1893||Monkland Canal|
Rebuilding of Millburn Bridge (Robertson^s Bridge) authorised. Millburn Chemical Works to north east. Craigpark Works to south east.
|/ /1940||Monkland Canal|
|/ /1960||Monkland Canal|
Piped, filled in and the M8 Motorway built over the top from Easterhouse to Glasgow.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
Blackhill and Sheepford locks to be added.
This large chemical works, once the largest in the World, was in the north of Glasgow (229 Castle Street). It started by producing bleaching chemicals for cloth. The works was built on the north bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal / Monkland Canal Cut of Junction (the link between the canals). It was most famous for it^s huge chimney dating from 1842, the ^St Rollox Stalk^, which was 435.5 ...More details
This works opened in 1855 for the production of wrought iron, later malleable iron and later still steel. It was located on the north bank of the Monkland Canal, used to deliver coal to the site. The works was served from Garngad to the north west by sidings from the City of Glasgow Union Railway of 1875, which bordered the works to the west. It was also served from [[Blochairn ...More details
This iron works, in the south west of Coatbridge, was opened in by Robert Addie, Robert Miller and Patrick Rankin. A range of blast furnaces were built in an east-west orientation on the north bank of the Luggie Burn.
This basin is today a tranquil location on the former Gartsherrie Branch of the Monkland Canal. It was formerly a transshipment point between the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and the canal, having coal drops on its eastern side served from Howes on the M&K.
This was a large iron works to the north of Coatbridge. It was built by William Baird & Co in 1828. The location was chosen due to the quantity of blackband ironstone, coal and limestone in the area. The works produced forge quality iron which was internationally famous.
Originally built as a transshipment point between the Monkland Canal and Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway One main use of it was as the northern outlet for coal from the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. Between the two basins were coal staithes. A small basin lay between the M&K and GG&C lines, served by lines from the M&K and Dundyvan Iron Works.