St Rollox Depot

Location type


Name and dates

St Rollox Depot (1831-1966)

Opened on the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway.
Opened on the Port Dundas Branch (Caledonian Railway).


This was the Glasgow terminus of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway. It was on the north bank of the Monkland Canal just east of the Port Dundas Basin.

The depot was chiefly a mineral depot with several sidings serving coal staithes on the canal. The St Rollox Chemical Works and a coal depot on Glebe Street were served by reversal. At the east end of the sidings was Glasgow (Townhead) (also known as Glebe Street) passenger station.

Two later built long sidings ran from the depot. A quayside line crossed the Monkland Canal (actually the 'cut of junction') and the the Forth and Clyde Canal to reach Spiers Wharf. Another line ran north to reach the Pinkston Power Station from the south (also served from the north by the Port Dundas Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)..

Below were the Cowlairs Tunnel and the Buchanan Street Tunnel.

Nothing remains of the depot or canal, both obliterated by the M8 motorway.


Terminus depot sidings goods

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67