Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway)


This branch ran from Germiston, on the old Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway, to the Blochairn Steel Works on the north bank of the Monkland Canal.

The branch was to become the core of The Switchback (Caledonian Railway).


  /  /1882Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Branch authorised - Blochairn Branch (Glasgow Lines).
  /  /1882Monkland Canal
Authorisation to abandon a portion of canal at Blochairn. By the Blochairn Iron Works, allowing the Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway) to occupy its site on the south side of the works.
26/11/1884Blochairn Steel Works Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Line opened from between Germiston Junction High and Blochairn Steel Works.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the junction between the Milton Junction to St Rollox [1st] (the original terminus) line and The Switchback line south to Rutherglen. This curve closed in 1962.

More details

See also
Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Black Fives were always well in evidence around St Rollox, as seen here on 2nd October 1963. Perth^s 45472 has just passed Balornock depot with the ...
Robin McGregor 02/10/1963
The End. BR maintenance ends sign located on CR Garnkirk extension at Germiston High Jn just before it passes under Garngad/Royston Rd.- was ...
Alistair MacKenzie 10/12/1979
2 of 2 images.

This junction opened in 1886 when the 1884 Blochairn Branch (Caledonian Railway) was extended south by the The Switchback (Caledonian Railway) to London Road Junction [Glasgow] to meet the 1877 Dalmarnock Branch Extension (Caledonian Railway). The Switchback not only connected the Caledonian Railway^s northern and southern systems in Glasgow but also served the [[Parkhead Iron ...

More details

See also
The Switchback (Caledonian Railway)

This works opened in 1855 for the production of wrought iron, later malleable iron and later still steel. It was located on the north bank of the Monkland Canal, used to deliver coal to the site. The works was served from Garngad to the north west by sidings from the City of Glasgow Union Railway of 1875, which bordered the works to the west. It was also served from [[Blochairn ...

More details