Originally built as a transshipment point between the Monkland Canal and Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway One main use of it was as the northern outlet for coal from the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. Between the two basins were coal staithes. A small basin lay between the M&K and GG&C lines, served by lines from the M&K and Dundyvan Iron Works.
In 1867 the basin, and branch to it, was transferred from the Monkland Canal to the Caledonian Railway.
In 1874 a new line was built across the entrance to the basin, a deviation to approach the Sheepford branch as the original junction close to Coatbridge Central [NB] was taken out when the lines were raised from street level to an embankment and bridge.
Following the filling in of the basin the last use of sidings here was as a permanent way depot. Concrete drainage pipes were stored and loaded. Prior to this use, redundant track panels were stored here.
In final form this was five dead sidings and a looped siding, all approached from the south. Located on the east side of the line, just north of the former Whifflet [NB] station and the Whifflet Upper overbridge.
Originally these sidings served the upper and lower Dundyvan basins on the short Dundyvan Branch of the Monkland Canal. The sidings were served from the south. The loop siding was on the west side of the upper basin, the dead end sidings between the two basins and lower basin on the east side with further sidings, removed in the 1960s, serving the east side of the lower basin.
The site is now an industrial and outlet estate.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Whifflet Yard|
Coatbridge Tinplate Works
Lochrin Iron Works
Phoenix Iron Works [Coatbridge]
Clifton Iron Works
Stobcross Rivet Bolt and Nut Works
North British Iron Works
Langloan East Junction
Coatbridge Boiler Works
Dundyvan Iron Works
Rosehall Siding Signal Box
Whifflet East Goods
Coats Malleable Ironworks
Lochrin Construction Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Short branch canal to Dundyvan Basin under construction.
|/ /1836||Monkland Canal|
Short Dundyvan Basin branch opened.
|/ /1867||Monkland Canal|
Dundyvan Basin Branch of the Monkland Canal absorbed by the Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1872||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
New alignment opens with a bridge which takes the line over Monkland Canal, West Canal Street and Bank Street in central Coatbridge. The junction with the Sheepford Branch (Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway) is taken out and a new alignment laid in to the south which crossed the Dundyvan Basin branch.