This was the Paisley terminus of the early Paisley and Renfrew Railway. It was on the north side of Hamilton Street in the west to middle of the block between Abercorn Street (west) and Renfrew Street (east). When opened it was on the northern edge of Paisley. This was the first station in Paisley, probably just called 'Paisley' on opening.
The line was single track and 4 ft 6 in (Scotch Gauge) rather than standard gauge. Locomotives were used from opening as the line was in competition with the White Cart, just to the west, and a turnpike road, to the east.
The station had a stone building on Hamilton Street, with a timber trainshed on its west side, and a timber goods shed a little further north on the east side.
The 1860 Ordnance Survey Name Book described it thus
A neat and substantial building two storeys high, with a carriage & goods sheds attached, it consists of a booking office, and the usual waiting rooms, the latter are indifferent; situated in Hamilton Street. The property of the Glasgow & South Western Railway Company.
It is the terminus of the Paisley & Renfrew.
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Canal [1st]
Paisley St James
| Paisley Signalling Centre|
Stoneybrae Twin Signal Box
Paisley Mineral Depot [GSW]
Underwood Coal Depot
Paisley East Junction
Lacy Street Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|03/04/1837||Paisley and Renfrew Railway|
Opened. This 4ft 6in line ran from Paisley Hamilton Street (near the later Paisley Abercorn) to Renfrew Wharf. Locomotives were used.