Rutherglen Carriage Sidings (1896-1979)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.
These carriage sidings were opened in 1896 as part of the Glasgow Central Railway. There were three bay platforms just to the west and services both started and ended at Rutherglen [4th]. The terminal platforms and carriage sidings were controlled by Rutherglen Noth Junction box which looked out over the area.
Approach was from the north, from Clydebridge Junction.
The Glasgow Central Railway closed in 1964. Despite this some carriage sidings survived, controled from Clydebridge Junction. Control of these passed over to the Glasgow Central Panel Box in 1973.
The sidings were gone by the time of the Argyle Line a partial opening of 1979 (a re-opening of the Glasgow Central Railway). Their site coud still be seen until overgrown.
When the M74 extension opened over the top off Rutherglen station the carriage sidings area was cleared again and the site became obvious again for a while.
London Road [Glasgow]
Other railway and industry locations
Farme Colliery Junction
Rutherglen West Junction
Rutherglen North Junction [1st]
Rutherglen Training School
Rutherglen Central Junction
Rutherglen North Junction
Clydeford Chemical Works
Clydebridge Junction [Rutherglen]
Clyde Wire Rope Works
Bridgeton Bank Yard
Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen] [1st]
Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)