This was the Eglinton Street Goods depot of the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. It became the main parcels depot in Glasgow. Following this it was a permanent way base for First Engineering.
Access was from the west, from the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. The original approach was from just to the west, but a longer goods only approach with sidings was installed, running west to the east end of Pollokshields station (Shields Road [GPJ].
This is a large and good example of a goods shed, modernised and re-roofed. It is currently out of use and rail-less.
The site is bounded by the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway to the west and north, the City of Glasgow Union Railway to the south and Salkeld Street to the east.
West Street [Subway]
Bridge Street [Subway]
South Side [GB and NDR]
Main Street Gorbals
South Side [CR]
Shields Road [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
| Port Eglinton Junction|
Glasgow Central Power Box
Cook Street Shed
Port Eglinton Goods
Cook Street Goods
Port Eglinton Basin
Eglinton Street Junction
Bridge Street Junction
Bridge Street Junction [South]
West Street Goods
Cook Street Junction
West Street Junction [GSWR]
Eglinton Street Shed
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1842||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Short branch to Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal opened. (Eglinton Street Goods on the north side of the Port Eglinton Basin).
|/ /1864||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
New approach authorised to Eglinton Street Goods from the east end of Pollokshields station (Shields Road [GPJ]) authorised, providing a longer goods only approach and sidings.
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways