Shields Junction No 1

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Shields Junction No 1 (1849-)

Opened on the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway.
Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.

Description

Shields No 1 Junction is the junction between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway of 1840 and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway of 1849. The latter now longer accesses General Terminus but continues in its role as a ^bypass^ of Glasgow Central for freight from Ayrshire to Lanarkshire and vice versa.


Original junction


Originally just Shields Junction. It was a double track junction, but has been reduced to a single lead junction for the two lines running east to Terminus Junction and now forms a flying junction. The original line to Terminus Junction is on the south side and is now single. The line on the north side (which flys under just to the east) uses the former Kinning Park Goods approach from Kinning Park Junction to the east (today the connection is made just to the west at Shields West Junction). To the west is a new connection made with Glasgow St Enoch closed which allows access to the Paisley Canal line.

Also on the north side were sidings for works; to the west the Clutha Works.

The signal box was built on the south side of the junction. It was replaced in 1894.

To the south was Bellahouston No 1 Junction. The site is now Shields Road Depot.


Reconstruction


Shields Junction No 1 box closed in 1967 during a huge rebuilding and resignalling project which included:
- the Paisley Canal line was brought to the junction (1966), approaching Glasgow Central rather than Glasgow St Enoch (this was a new connection from Bellahouston No 2 Junction, also rebuilt)
- the construction of Shields Road Depot (1967)
- the electrification of the Greenock line (1967)
- signalling being taken over by Glasgow Central Power Box (1967)

Tags

Junction

Aliases

Shields No 1 Junction



Dates

  /  /1846General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Act receives Royal assent. Line from General Terminus, a depot on the south bank of the River Clyde, to West Street Junction (Govan and Polloc Railway), Strathbungo Junction (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway) and Shields Junction No 1 (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway).
30/03/1849General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
West Street Junction (Govan and Polloc Railway) to Shields Junction No 1 (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway) and General Terminus opened. Curve to Strathbungo Junction (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway) opened.
07/01/1870General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Tolls set for the Glasgow and South Western Railway between Strathbungo Junction (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway) and Shields Junction No 1 (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway). Either end of the line was joint Caledonian Railway and G&SWR, the intervening line was CR owned.
  /  /1875General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Line from Kinning Park Junction to Kinning Park Goods (and a connection to Shields Junction No 1) authorised (replacing an earlier proposal of 1872). (Known as the Burma Road.) Authorised as Railway No 3.
  /  /1892Princes Dock Joint Railway (Caledonian Railway, North British Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway)
North British Railway granted running powers over the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway between Shields Junction No 1 and Cessnock Dock Branch Junction at Ibrox station.
13/06/1960Polloc and Govan Railway General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Line closed to passengers between Gushetfaulds Junction and Shields Junction No 1.

Books


An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways