This is a three way junction, formerly a four way junction.
To the east, a double (formerly quadruple) track line runs to the former West Street Junction, continuing on to Larkfield Junction as a double track line along the route of the former Govan and Polloc Railway.
A single (formerly double) track line turns south to Muirhouse South Junction on the former Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway.
To the west, a double track line runs to the former Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway at Shields Junction No 1.
A single (formerly double) track line runs north west to Kinning Park Junction where the line divided into the route north to General Terminus (closed) and west to Kinning Park Goods Station (open). The latter is still open as a single track line which now connects to the former Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway as Shields West Junction. Thus the two lines to the west form a flying junction to the Paisley route.
The signal box opened in 1878. It was located on the south side of the junction.
To the north of the junction was the immense West Street Mineral Depot, approached from West Street Junction.
The signal box closed in 1974, replaced by Glasgow Central Power Box.
General Terminus largely fell out of use in 1978 and closed railway from Terminus Junction was lifted in 1987.
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
Bridge Street [Subway]
| West Street Mineral Depot|
Shields Bank Signal Box
Shields Signal Box
Pollokshields Signal Box
Smithy Lye Carriage Sidings
Tradeston Gasworks No 3
Kinning Park Junction
Howden Scotland Street Works
Tradeston Gas Works
West Street Junction [GSWR]
Cook Street Junction
West Street Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|