Thornly Park Junction (1902-1917)
Opened on the Barrhead Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
This was the junction for the short branch to the Gleniffer Depot, just east of the Glenfield Scouring Works. The branch left the Paisley to Barrhead Central line a little south of Potterhill station.
The main line was double track and the branch single track. The branch predated the main line, opening in 1899. The extension south to Barrhead Central opened in 1902 and a signal box opened. The branch was approached from the north and headed south then west to the Gleniffer Depot. The box was on the east side of the junction.
The main line was singled in 1909 and its southbound line lifted, probably as it was easier to retain the connection for the Gleniffer Depot to the northbound line.
The main line closed to passengers between Potterhill and Barrhead Central in 1916. It closed completely between Thornly Park Junction and Barrhead Central in 1917.
The Gleniffer Depot remained open until 1959 when the line was cut back to Potterhill.
The junction's embankments remain intact but very overgrown.
Paisley Canal [1st]
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Hamilton Street
Other railway and industry locations
Thornly Park Junction
Blackbyres Junction [CR]
Blackbyres Junction [G and SW]
Shanks Tubal Works [2nd]
Saucel Signal Box
Shanks Victorian Pottery Works
Barrhead South Junction
Hawkhead Shell Mex Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|