Torphins

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Torphins (1859-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Extension Railway.

Description

This was, latterly, a two platform station in the middle of Torphins.

The original layout was unusual with a passing loop outside the station to the west of a road bridge. The station was to the east with a single platform on the north side and a short siding, approached from the east which served a loading bank.

The loop was extended and the road bridge removed. The road was diverted via a new bridge carrying Bridge Street to the west and the road stopped up where it crossed the line. The southern portion became Station Road.

This deviation of the road allowed the loop to be extended east to beyond the east end of the existing station. The platform was extended and the former loading bank became the westbound platform and was extended. A new goods yard was built to the south, west end of the station, much of which used the site of the former road. This was served from the west.

New signal boxes were provided at either end of the loop. The west box was beyond the west end of the eastbound platform and on the north side of the line opposite the goods yard. The east box was east of the westbound platform and on the south side of the line. The west box was replaced in 1895.

The station, boxes and line closed in 1966.

Following closure the stopped up road was reinstated and the B993 runs through the site. Most of the station is cleared. The replacement Bridge Street bridge still stands to the west. Much of the site is now occupied with new housing. 'Platform 22', a new building containing a pottery gallery and licensed coffee house, is located where the station drive approached from William Street and met the eastbound platform. The demolished station building was a little distance east.

Local

Platform 22 (http://www.platform22.co.uk/ appears to be down)

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map



Dates

02/12/1859Deeside Extension Railway
Railway opened. Stations at Banchory [2nd], Glassel, Torphins, Dess and Aboyne.
28/02/1966Deeside Railway Deeside Extension Railway Aboyne and Braemar Railway
Ballater, Cambus O' May, Dinnet, Aboyne, Dess, Lumphanan, Torphins, Glassel, Dee Street Halt, Banchory [2nd], Crathes, Park, Culter and Cults closed to passengers.

Books


A History of the Great North of Scotland Railway

Deeside Line: The North-east's Royal Railway

Great North of Scotland Railway (History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands, vol. 3)

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Great North of Scotland Railway v. 3

Royal Deeside's Railway: Aberdeen to Ballater

The Great North of Scotland Railway - A New History