Dess

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Dess (1859-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Extension Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station.

There was a loading bank opposite the passenger platform with a siding approached from the east.

The station and line closed in 1966.

The station, typical of this portion of the line, remains in use as a house. Dess, Lumphannan, Torphins and Glassel were built to the same design.

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map



Dates

02/12/1859Deeside Extension Railway
Railway opened. Stations at Banchory [2nd], Glassel, Torphins, Dess and Aboyne.
28/02/1966Deeside Railway Deeside Extension Railway Aboyne and Braemar Railway
Ballater, Cambus O' May, Dinnet, Aboyne, Dess, Lumphanan, Torphins, Glassel, Dee Street Halt, Banchory [2nd], Crathes, Park, Culter and Cults closed to passengers.

Books


A History of the Great North of Scotland Railway

Deeside Line: The North-east's Royal Railway

Great North of Scotland Railway (History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands, vol. 3)

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Great North of Scotland Railway v. 3

Royal Deeside's Railway: Aberdeen to Ballater

The Great North of Scotland Railway - A New History