This line is closed with some portions walk-able. The line extended the Crieff lines (from Gleneagles and Perth) further west to the small town of Comrie. The route ran along the north bank of the River Earn with Crieff Viaduct and Strowan Tunnel being the chief civil engineering features. The opportunity was taken to build an enlarged station at Crieff on the new route.
The line was later extended westwards from Comrie to St Fillans and Lochearnhead and connected with the Callander and Oban Railway.
|/ /1890||Crieff and Comrie Railway|
Crieff and Comrie Railway authorised.
|29/04/1890||Crieff and Comrie Railway|
Agreement on operation of the Crieff and Comrie Railway by the Caledonian Railway.
|01/06/1893||Crieff and Comrie Railway|
Line opened. Stations opened Crieff [2nd] and Comrie.
|/ /1898||Crieff and Comrie Railway
Crieff and Comrie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
|15/06/1964||Crieff and Comrie Railway|
Comrie to Crieff Signalbox closed to goods.
|06/07/1964||Crieff and Comrie Railway|
Comrie to Crieff [2nd] to Gleneagles closed to passengers, the last trains being Park Royal railbus M79973 and another hauled by BR Standard Class 4 80063. (Comrie to Crieff Signalbox closed completely.)
These locations are along the line.
This signal box controlled the junction between several lines. To the east were the lines from Gleneagles (opened 1856), Perth (opened 1866), the reversing spur for Crieff Goods (originally Crieff [1st] of 1856) and the reversing spur for Crieff Sheds and further goods sidings. To the west it controlled the approach to Crieff Goods and the line through Crieff [2nd] ...More details
This was a through station opened with the Crieff and Comrie Railway replacing Crieff [1st], just to the south. It was a large station with two platforms and three tracks, the centre track being a goods bypass, or runround loop line. There were large station buildings, not dissimilar to the latter station building at Callander Dreadnought, which were heavily canopied on the platform ...More details
This was a single track viaduct of around 114 feet to the west of Crieff [2nd] station which passed over the Turret Burn.
This was a two platform station. At first, when a terminus, a platform and station building were not provided on the up side. After extension a second platform and building were provided.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder