Wanton Walls Junction

The already complex arrangement of lines to the east of Edinburgh was complicated still further in 1915 with the advent of the Lothian Lines. These were essentially relief lines built to ease the passage of coal between the Lothian collieries and Leith Docks. Remnants include these notable bridge abutments, photographed looking west along Newcraighall Road on 5 July 2018. Above and to the left stood Wanton Walls Junction, where the line which had climbed from the ECML at Monktonhall Junction split, with a spur turning left to reach Niddrie West and the Lothian Lines route continuing here across the A6095 heading for Niddrie North. See image 29553

Location: Wanton Walls Junction

Company: Lothian Lines (North British Railway)

Photographer: John Furnevel

Contact photographer: John Furnevel

Contact editor

Date: 05/07/2018

Image number: 64908


Other photographs of Wanton Walls Junction on RailScot