This junction is immediately west of the former Arkleston Tunnel and east of Paisley Gilmour Street.
With the quadrupling of the Glasgow to Paisley line the junction for the Renfrew branch was moved further east from Gallowhill Junction.
The signal box was on the north side of the junction. Going west from the junction the line split into three:
- the Renfrew line
- the approach to Greenlaw Goods, which split off the Renfew line (and had a slow connection to it which followed the original course of the Renfrew curve)
- the approach to Paisley Gilmour Street
Opposite the box, and on the south side of the line, were the Gallowhill Sidings, dead end sidings which were approached from the west from Gallowhill Junction.
The signal box closed in 1966 when replaced by Paisley Power Box. The main line was reduced from four lines to two in preparation for Greenock electrification.
The Renfrew branch closed in 181 and was lifted in 1986/87.
In preparation for opening of a branch to Glasgow Airport, which did not go ahead, the line was increased to three lines east of Arkleston and four lines to the west. The centre road to the east is used in peak periods for limited stop trains.
Paisley Hamilton Street
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Canal [1st]
Paisley St James
| Gallowhill Sidings|
Barshaw Park Miniature Railway
Paisley East Junction
Lacy Street Depot
Sandyford Metal Window Works
Paisley Signalling Centre
Sandyford Chemical Works
Vulcan Works [Paisley]
Vulcan Foundry [Paisley] [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1874||Paisley and Renfrew Railway|
The east end of the curve from Abercorn Junction on the Renfrew line is moved further east to Arkleston Junction.The curve itself is eased.
|05/06/1967||Paisley and Renfrew Railway|
Renfrew Wharf to Arkleston Junction (excluded) closed to passengers.
|05/01/1981||Paisley and Renfrew Railway|
Arkleston Junction to near Sandyford Halt closed officially (track remains until 1986).
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways