Opened on the Newcastle and Berwick Railway.
This was a two platform station on the south side of a level crossing. The main station building was on the northbound platform and has not survived.
The goods yard, with large goods shed, was on the east side of the station, approached from the south.
To the north the line was quadrupled through to Goswick but has since reversed to double track.
The former goods yard is now a garden complete with a locomotive (Peckett 0-4-0ST 1611 of 1923).
Beal itself is a farm to the east of the former station.
St Cuthbert's Way passes under the open line, south of the former station, on its way to Holy Island.
Beal was the closest station to Holy Island, Lindisfarne Priory and Lindisfarne Castle . (This was not lost on the North Eastern Railway and its successors who have used Lindisfarne in railway advertising.) To the east of the former station the road runs over a tidal causeway to reach Holy Island.
Today the closest stations are at Berwick-upon-Tweed and Chathill.
The Holy Island also featured the Holy Island Tramway which served the Castle Point Lime Kilns.
Ford Forge Mill
Other railway and industry locations
Scremerston Lime Works
Castle Point Lime Kilns
Scremerston Colliery Restoration Pit
Scremerston Colliery Incline House
Scremerston Colliery and Tile Works
Tweedmouth Power Box
Castle Point Jetties
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
Newcastle (Rail Centres)