Bellside Junction (1869-1966)
Opened on the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This junction opened with the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway) in 1869. It linked that line via a curve (the Drumbowie Branch) from west to north to meet the 1864 Salsburgh Branch (Caledonian Railway) at Langbyres Junction.
The junction was directly west of Omoa station, now Cleland. A yard was laid out at the junction. To the west of the junction were dead end sidings accessed from the east from the curve and a connection east of the station (so these could be used as reversing spurs to access the curve). To the east, in the 'V' of the junction was a second set of dead end sidings approached from the west. A little further to the west of the junction was a siding for Knownoblehill Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 on the north side, approached from the east.
The signal box was north of the station, amongst the approach to the east sidings and with the curve to the north.
The curve closed in 1966. Some sidings remained in use. The box closed in 1981, replaced by Motherwell Signalling Centre.
Omoa Iron Works Signal Box was to the west, Cleland Viaduct was to the east.
Other railway and industry locations
Spindleside Colliery Pits Nos 6 and 7
Knownoblehill Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Omoa Iron Works Signal Box
Omoa Iron Works
Greenhill Colliery Pit No 4
North Shaws Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|