This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a waiting room on the southbound. There was no footbridge, instead there were ramps up to the road bridge to the south.
The goods yard was laid out with two groups of sidings: loading bank sidings to west and goods shed to east. It was on the west side of the station and approached from the north.
The signal box was at the north end of the station and on the west side alongside the goods yard^s connection to the line.
The station closed to passengers in 1961. The signal box closed in 1961 only to reopen in 1971 and finally close in 1974.
The line remains open. The small village of Closeburn is to the west of the station site. The former station building is now a house. The timber goods shed still stands. The coal yard is still in operation.
Closeburn Quarry Signal Box was to the north.
| Closeburn Quarry Signal Box|
Cample Water Viaduct
Ballochan Linn Viaduct
Carronhill Glen (Newlands) Viaduct
Gill Water Viaduct
Carron Water Viaduct
Lower Portrack Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1849||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Extended from Dumfries Ramsey Place Junction to Closeburn. Stations at Dumfries [2nd], Killylung, Auldgirth and Closeburn.
|28/10/1850||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway completed by opening between Old Cumnock and Closeburn. Stations at New Cumnock, Kirkconnel, Sanquhar and Thornhill. Sidings opened at Mennock Summit for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead mines. The nearest passenger station on the line was at Sanquhar, slightly further west.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History