This is a two platform station. To the west is a signal box (1911, replaced a box from 1881) on the north side of the line. The main station building was at the west end of the westbound platform and a traditional basic waiting room was on the eastbound platform. Both have not survived having been demolished in the late 1990s. The platforms have glazed waiting shelters.
The goods yard was west of the station, on the south side of the line and approached from the west. It partly survives as maintenance sidings.
To the north of the station was Fauldhead Colliery. This was approached from the east, the connection being just west of the station. Exchange sidings were added to the north of the station, behind the eastbound platform, and the tip was north of the station and then its expansion was to the north east.
| Fauldhead Colliery|
Tower Colliery [Gateside]
Gateside Colliery Nos 4 and 5
Gateside Signal Box
Gateside Fireworks Factory
Crawick Water Viaduct
Sanquhar Tile Works
Upper Cairn Signal Box
Mennock Water Viaduct
Knockenjig Level Crossing
Garclaugh No 1 Level Crossing
Garclaugh No 2 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/10/1850||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway completed by opening between Old Cumnock and Closeburn. Stations at New Cumnock, Kirkconnel, Sanquhar and Thornhill. Sidings opened at Mennock Summit for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead mines. The nearest passenger station on the line was at Sanquhar, slightly further west.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History