This two platform station re-opened in 1994. It is in the north of the village. The former station building now offers accommodation.
The main station building was on the northbound platform. Although the central portion is modified the building is largely in original form. The building has high chimneys. ^1850^ is displayed.
The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north. The signal box was on the west side of the line at the north end.
On the east side was Sanquhar Tile Works with a series of kilns, a once well known feature north of the station. A short tramway ran north from the brick works to a clay pit. A siding also ran south east to Buccleuch Terra Cotta Works, also connected by a short tramway south east to another clay pit.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The signal box closed in 1982. The station re-opened in the same position as the original in 1994.
Sanquhar Castle, a ruin, is to the south of the village.
| Sanquhar Tile Works|
Crawick Water Viaduct
Gateside Fireworks Factory
Gateside Signal Box
Gateside Colliery Nos 4 and 5
Tower Colliery [Gateside]
Mennock Water Viaduct
Ardoch Signal Box
Wanlockhead Lead Smelter
Wanlockhead Crushing Mill
Knockenjig Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/10/1850||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway completed by opening between Old Cumnock and Closeburn. Stations at New Cumnock, Kirkconnel, Sanquhar and Thornhill. Sidings opened at Mennock Summit for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead mines. The nearest passenger station on the line was at Sanquhar, slightly further west.
|/ /1965||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Cumnock, Racks, Ruthwell and Sanquhar stations closed.
|27/06/1994||Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Sanquhar station re-opened.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History