This was a two platform station built on an embankment. The station was about a mile and a half north of the village of Ruthwell. The main station building, of two storeys, was on the eastbound platform. A waiting room was on the westbound platform.
To the west and north of the line was a goods yard served from the east. Opposite was a refuge siding, served from the west.
The signal box, of 1888, was on the south side of the line opposite the goods yard turnout. It was replaced in 1942.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The box closed in 1982.
The main building has survived and is now a house. The waiting room on the westbound platform has not survived but the building out of the platform to support it can still be seen.
| Ironhirst Signal Box|
Kelhead Lime Works
Annan Powfoot Siding
Newbie Brick and Tile Works
Cochran^s Boiler Works
Port Street Viaduct
Wath Level Crossing
Warrenhill Level Crossing
Dancing Knowe Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1848||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Opened from Gretna Junction to Dumfries [1st]. Stations opened at Annan, Cummertrees, Ruthwell, Dumfries [1st].
|/ /1965||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Cumnock, Racks, Ruthwell and Sanquhar stations closed.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History