Coulter

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Coulter (1860-1950)

Opened on the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway.


Description

This was a single platform station to the immediate east of Wolfclyde Viaduct, separated from it by a level crossing. The station was briefly known as Wolfclyde.

There was no loop, but two sidings on the north side of the line and approached from the east. The passenger platform was on the south side of the line. A loop may have been considered as the part of the Wolfclyde Viaduct closer to the station was built to allow girders for two lines - oddly the further away part had piers only suitable for one line.

The station was over a mile and a half north of the village of Coulter.

The station building is now a house and the platform still exists.

The next station west was the junction at Symington [2nd] and the next east was Biggar and slightly closer was a siding, Causewayend Siding, for the Culter Waterhead Railway.

To the immediate south is Coulter Motte which somehow escaped the Victorian contractors.

11/08/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map