Dalmally

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Dalmally (1877-)

Station code: DAL National Rail ScotRail
Where: Argyll and Bute, Scotland
Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.
Open on the West Highland Line.

Description

This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the eastbound (up) platform and is a red stone built two storey house with single storey offices. Gables are crow-stepped. The building is fitted with a full length glass canopy over the platform. The very fine building is due to the use of the station by the Duke of Argyll. The original timber station building burned down in 1898. The signal box ('C' listed dating from 1896) still stands on the eastbound platform. Station cottages stand nearby, to the north west. The station has a car park.

This station was the terminus of the line from 1877 until 1880 when the extension west to Oban opened. A locomotive shed, Dalmally Shed, was on the south side of the station, approached from the west. The single road shed was approached over the turntable. The building was towards the east end of the station. The shed survived the line's extension: it was useful for seasonal traffic and the Dalmally - Oban local service.

There was a waiting room, and tea room, on the westbound platform, no gone.

The signal box closed in 1986 when RETB took over.

A granite heron fountain adorns the westbound platform.

There was a goods yard on the north side of the line, accessed from the car park. It was approached by a headshunt which was made a facing connection to the east end of the easbound line.

Heartfelt by Liz , a studio focused on and offering workshops on traditional skills as weaving, spinning and dyeing, is based in the station.

Also at the station is Dalmally Station Accommodation .

West of the station was Drishaig Junction, junction for the private line to the Ben Cruachan Quarry.

Local

The road which crosses the west end of the station was originally an important road running south. The road to Oban formerly crossed the River Orchy by the Dalmally Bridge to the north.

Tags

Station fountain

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Listing: C




Dates

01/04/1877Callander and Oban Railway
Tyndrum [CandO] to Dalmally opened for goods traffic.
01/05/1877Callander and Oban Railway
Tyndrum [CandO] to Dalmally opened to passengers. A single road stone shed, Dalmally Shed, opened to the south of Dalmally station with a 48ft turntable.
12/06/1880Callander and Oban Railway
Line opened from Dalmally to Oban for goods.
01/07/1880Callander and Oban Railway
Line opened from Dalmally to Oban for passengers. The whole line is now open to passengers. Additionally Lochavullin Goods (Oban High Level Goods) opens.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line

Caledonian Railway

Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press

Callander & Oban Railway Through Time

Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Callander and Oban Railway v. 4

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Callander and Oban Railway v. 4

Iron Road to the Isles: A Travellers and Tourist Guide to the West Highland Lines

Iron Roads to the Isles: A Travellers and Tourists Souvenir Guide to the West Highland Lines

Oban 1898: Argyllshire Sheet 98.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Argyllshire)

On West Highland Lines

Railway World Special: West Highland Lines

Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

The Birth and Death of a Highland Railway: Ballachulish Line

The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History

Trossachs and West Highlands: Exploring the Lost Railways (Local History Series)

Walks from the West Highland Railway (Cicerone Guide)