This is a 627 yard double track tunnel east of Dundee station and west of the former Camperdown Junction.
For much of its length it runs under Dock Street. The tunnel passed west round the north end of the Earl Grey Dock, King William IV Dock before emerging north of Victoria Dock. (The first two docks in this list have been filled in.)
It passed underneath the much older street railway/tramway between Dundee West and Dundee East. This was never converted to proper railway standard and was for goods exchange - unlike the tunnel line which is part of the East Coast Main Line.
The tunnel requires constant pumping.
Dundee Trades Lane
Dundee Ward Road
Offset at Back of Law
Ninewells Junction [Station]
| Dundee Earl Grey Dock|
Dundee West Goods
Dundee Craig Harbour
Dundee Signalling Centre
Tay Bridge Goods
Dundee Ward Road Shed
Tay Bridge Minerals
Dundee Tay Bridge Shed
Dundee Victoria Dock
Dundee East End Mineral Depot
V and A Museum Dundee
HM Frigate Unicorn
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|15/07/1870||Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway)|
Tay Bridge [1st], Dundee Tay Bridge [Station] and line from Leuchars to Dundee authorised. Dundee's Dock Street Tunnel authorised. Running power access authorised for the Caledonian Railway between Buckingham Junction and Camperdown Junction.
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways