This was a terminus in the east of Dundee. It was originally the terminus of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. The station became redundant as local lines closed and longer distance services transferred to Dundee station which was on a through line. With the opening of Dundee station, Dundee East was left on a short branch from Camperdown Junction.
Known as Dock Street until 1858, it replaced Dundee Trades Lane to the immediate west.
The station had a trainshed with a fine fanlight on the west end. There were two platforms under the roof. Outside the roof were a further two platforms, one one either side.
There was a goods yard on the north side of the station, accessed from the east. To the north of East Dock Street, crossed by a level crossing, was the substantial East End Mineral Yard.
A street railway ran west to Dundee West.
With the opening of Dundee Tay Bridge station and a through line to the west the station and the loss of local lines the station closed.
A signal box, 'Dundee East' was located on the south side of the passenger lines running into the station (with the street tramway/railway to Dundee West and North British Railway lines to its south). This box opened in 1893 during a reconstruction of the station and closed in 1939 when taken over by Camperdown Junction box.
The short route to Forfar [2nd] from Broughty Ferry closed to passengers in 1955. The station closed in 1959.
Nothing remains of the station today, except some sidings which were formerly carriage sidings, until recently in use for a cement depot.
HMS Unicorn is moored in the Victoria Dock, to the south of the former station.
Dundee Trades Lane
Dundee Ward Road
Offset at Back of Law
Baldovan and Downfield
| Dundee Victoria Dock|
Dundee East End Mineral Depot
Dundee East Shed
Dundee Camperdown Dock
Dundee Earl Grey Dock
Dock Street Tunnel
Dundee Craig Harbour
Dundee West Goods
Dundee Signalling Centre
Dundee King George V Wharf
HM Frigate Unicorn
V and A Museum Dundee
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/12/1857||Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway|
Dundee East opened and Dundee Trades Lane closed.
|28/12/1906||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
A North British Railway express which had been travelling from Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen Joint is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local Caledonian Railway Arbroath to Dundee East train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.
|10/01/1955||Dundee and Forfar Direct Railway (Caledonian Railway)|
Forfar [2nd] (Forfar North Junction) to Dundee East (Broughty Junction) closed to passengers.
|05/01/1959||Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway
Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Dundee East to Camperdown Junction closed to passengers.
|/ /1967||Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway
Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Dundee East closed to freight.