This station was located at the junction for the Carmyllie Railway. This was initially a goods and minerals only line, opened 1854, the line opening to passengers in 1900. The junction allowed trains from the Arbroath direction access to the branch.
The station, of 1866, had an island platform on the main line, the formerly plain track having its southbound line diverted round the platform. The station was opened when the main line came under Caledonian Railway ownership.
Trains for the branch started from Arbroath usually. The branch did not have a platform at the junction station and there was no crossover to the east of the station so this led to a double reversal. At Elliot Junction passenger trains would call at the Dundee bound platform, depart then stop, reverse over the trailing crossover to the Arbroath platform, depart and stop, reverse again onto the branch. Having left the junction trains curved hard to the north to cross the A92 by a level crossing. In the reverse direction a train for Arbroath, if short, could be accommodated at the east end of the Arbroath bound platform.
The name of the station was quite inappropriate when the station opened as it would be another 44 years before the branch opened to passengers.
The signal box was replaced in 1895. The box was in the 'V' of the junction. Passenger services were approved by a Light Railway order of 1898.
Elliot Goods was a short distance away on the branch. There was a loop on the branch just after the junction and level crossing.
There was an accident on the main line in 1906, on the westbound line at the east end of the station.
The Elliot Metal Box Factory, making items such as food cans, was served by reversal from the branch. Cans were transported to destinations including Peterhead.
The branch closed to passengers in 1929. The branch and goods yard closed in 1965, the part of the branch nearest the junction being retained as a headshunt for access to the factory. The station closed to passengers in 1967. The box survived until 1978 when a ground frame was installed. The last of the branch closed in 1984.
The tracks still part for the removed island platform. A fine lattice footbridge which served the station (there is a dip in the middle where steps came down to the platform) remains in place. Diversion of the A92 has removed the trackbed directly beside the station, but a level crossing gate remains (thought to be recently removed) on the far side of the original route of the road.
Elliot House was just to the west of the former station.
Arbroath West Links
Arbroath (Lady Loan)
Arbroath (Catherine Street)
| Elliot Goods|
Elliot Metal Box Factory
Elliot Works 2nd
Dowrie Works (Bitumen)
Arbroath D and A Shed
Arbroath Harbour Junction
Arbroath Signal Box
Westburn Iron Foundry
Arbroath Shed [1st]
Dens Iron Works
St Vigeans Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1855||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
Elliot Junction opened.
|28/12/1906||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
A North British Railway express which had been travelling from Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen Joint is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local Caledonian Railway Arbroath to Dundee East train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.
|01/01/1917||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry and Elliot Junction closed.
|01/02/1919||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry and Elliot Junction re-opened.
Carmyllie to Elliot Junction (excluded) closed to passengers.
|04/09/1967||Dundee and Arbroath Railway|
West Ferry, Easthaven, Elliot Junction stations closed.
Elliot Metal Box Factory Siding to Elliot Junction (excluded) closed.