Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Lesmahagow Railway.
This station was a terminus for the line south to Lesmahagow [1st]. The line had opened to goods and minerals in 1856. Although the line continued north over the Camps Viaduct to Motherwell when the line opened to passengers in 1866 it was not passed for passenger trains requiring the terminus until replacement of the viaduct in 1868.
A connecting coach ran from Ferniegair to Hamilton station (now Hamilton West) from which a train could be caught to Glasgow South Side [CR].
The terminus was located on the west side of the line just north of Ferniegair Colliery. Approach was from the south.
In 1868 the Camps Viaduct was replaced and the first Ferniegair station closed having been replaced with a through station, Ferniegair [2nd]. (A little later, in 1871, Motherwell Bridge station opened on the line north close to Lesmahagow Junction.)
| Ross South Signal Box|
Ferniegair Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Ross Yard Rock Crusher and Gantry Crane
Allanton Colliery Pit Nos 1 and 2
Chatelherault Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|