This junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway was between the approaches to Glasgow St Enoch from Cumberland Street (and the west via Paisley Gilmour Street or Paisley Canal) and Strathbungo (and the south to Barrhead and Kilmarnock).
Gorbals station was developed south of the junction. Two platforms, Main Street Gorbals (1872), opened on the westbound line and two further platforms, Gorbals (1876), opened on the southbound line. A signal box opened with these platforms in 1876. This was on the east side of the junction, south of Dunmore Street.
In 1900 the lines to the west were quadrupled and it was necessary to relocate Main Street Gorbals west, opening as Cumberland Street (1900). At Gorbals Junction two further lines were add to the north of the westbound lines on reaching further west, at Cumberland Street,the two further lines were to the south - a change which must have necessitated a closure to modify the layout. To the north the new lines were added on the east side of the existing line - and curve was eradicated in the new alignment. A new box was provided around 1900-1902, a larger box on roughly the same site.
The new box was replaced during the Glasgow St Enoch resignalling of 1933.
With the closure of the southbound line in 1973 and the reduction of lines west to two the location is no longer a junction. North of the former junction the centre lines have been retained and west of the junction the two north side lines were retained.
Main Street Gorbals
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
Bridge Street [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
| Caledonia Road Free Church|
Bridge Street Junction [South]
Gushetfaulds Freightliner Terminal
Glasgow Central Power Box
Cook Street Shed
Eglinton Street Junction
Bridge Street Junction
Port Eglinton Goods
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
Port Eglinton Junction
Clyde Junction [CGU]
Govan Iron Works
Cook Street Goods
Custom House Quay [Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1872||City of Glasgow Union Railway
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Gorbals Junction to Langside Junction authorised
|01/05/1876||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gorbals Junction to Langside Junction opened.
|17/10/1876||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow St Enoch opened. Through service from London St Pancras via the Midland Railway starts. Dunlop Street closed. Gorbals Junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway to South Side on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway opened.
|18/04/1966||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow Glasgow St Enoch (Gorbals Junction) to Strathbungo Junction closed to passengers. (Routes via Barrhead.)
|23/06/1973||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow Glasgow St Enoch (Gorbals Junction) to Strathbungo Junction closed to freight.