Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway

Introduction

This line is open. This was a joint line owned by the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway. The line was joint as the Caledonian wanted to extend its Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway to Kilmarnock and the South Western wanted to build a more direct line from Kilmarnock to Glasgow. The Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway was taken into joint ownership and along with the Glasgow and Kilmarnrock Joint Railway it became the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway, GB & K Jnt or GBK.

The line included a branch to Beith from Lugton, now cut back to RNAD Beith (at Giffen). This branch is now in abeyance.

The line has been singled between Barrhead and Kilmarnock except for a passing loop at the closed Lugton station. However, Network Rail opened a 'dynamic loop' between Lugton and Stewarton (south of the station at Lochridge Junction) to increase capacity and allow trains every half hour.






Dates

  /  /1865Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Authorisation of a Caledonian Railway extension from Crofthead to Kilmarnock and the Beith [Town] branch.
  /  /1865Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Authorisation of the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Direct Railway for the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
  /  /1866 Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Authorisation of a deviation to the north at Crofthead.
  /  /1868Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint RailwayGlasgow and South Western RailwayCaledonian Railway
The Glasgow and South Western Railway and Caledonian Railway agree not to complete separate lines from Kilmarnock to Glasgow but promote the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
  /  /1869Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint RailwayGlasgow and South Western RailwayCaledonian Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway authorised (Glasgow and South Western Railway and Caledonian Railway). Also known as Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Railway.
  /  /1869Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint RailwayGlasgow and South Western RailwayCaledonian Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Line committee formed for the under construction line. The joint line includes the Caledonian Railways former Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway. This gives the G&SWR a shorter route to Kilmarnock (and Carlisle) just as the City of Glasgow Union Railway, and its Glasgow St Enoch, is under development. It gives the Caledonian access to Kilmarnock with some running powers beyond.
27/03/1871Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Opened from the north to Stewarton. Stations opened at Neilston [2nd], Caldwell, Lugton, Dunlop, Stewarton.
  /  /1872Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
The authorisation of 1865 for the Caledonian Railway's Beith [Town] branch is time extended.
  /  /1872Caledonian Railway Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway Govan and Polloc Railway
Link between Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway, Victoria Junction (Langside Junction), to Govan and Polloc Railway, Cathcart Road Junction (Larkfield Junction), authorised. The former was about to be extended to Kilmarnock in 1873.
  /  /1872Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Hillhead Colliery branch (in north of Kilmarnock) authorised. Opened in 1872.
  /  /1872City of Glasgow Union Railway Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Gorbals Junction to Langside Junction authorised
26/06/1873Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Opened throughout, by extending from Stewarton to Kilmarnock. Station opened at Kilmaurs. Additionally Kilmarnock Joint Goods and Kilmarnock Joint Shed opened.
26/06/1873Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Lugton to Beith [Town] branch opened.
31/05/1878Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Through rates agreed for Craig's Siding, Kilmarnock (possibly Perceton Fire Clay Works).
  /  /1883Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Authorisation to widen bridges at Lugton and Stewarton.
20/08/1883Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Act receives Royal assent as the Barrmill and Kilwinning Railway. The original proposal was a local line to link the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway at Barrmill (joint G&SWR and CR) to the Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway at Kilwinning (G&SWR).
  /  /1888Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Authorisation to double the Lugton to Beith [Town] branch. (Lugton Junction to Barrmill Junction required doubling for the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.)
  /  /1897Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Connection between Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway (Lugton L and A Junction) and Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway (Lugton East Junction) authorised.
01/01/1923Dundee and Newtyle Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Caledonian Railway Glasgow and South Western Railway Callander and Oban Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway Highland Railway Cathcart District Railway Killin Railway Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee Brechin and Edzell District Railway Dornoch Light Railway Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
  /  /1953Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Neilston [2nd] renamed Neilston Low.
05/11/1962Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Beith Town to Lugton closed to passengers
05/10/1964Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Beith Town to Barrmill Junction (excluded) closed to freight.
14/12/1964Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton L and A Junction (on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway) to Uplawmoor [1st] closed to all traffic (Lugton East Sidings were used to round Uplawmoor [1st] trains).
  /  /1966Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Stations closed at Neilston Low, Uplawmoor, Lugton, Kilmaurs.
12/05/1984Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Kilmaurs station re-opened.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Crofthead to Kilmarnock

Passenger and goods line from Crofthead/Neilston to Kilmarnock.

This was a terminus. When initially opened the line from Barrhead was single track. The line terminated with a loop and two sets of goods sidings. There was a shed, Neilston Shed.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
The site of the original terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway was on the left. On the right is the original route of the ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
1 of 1 images.


This was a two platform station close to the Crofthead Mill. It was inconvenient for the Neilston village being at the foot of a hill and quite far north of it. The surviving Neilston station serves the village better.
...

More details
5.38 pm St Enoch - Carlisle on Neilston Bank. 5731 & J. McCreadie up. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
View looking west at Neilston (Low) ...
Ewan Crawford //
A Peak with the up Thames-Clyde Express, photographed on the approach to Neilston Low in March 1966. ...
Colin Miller /03/1966
Glasgow Central - Kilmarnock DMU south of Neilston Low on the Shilford Bank, c. late 1966. ...
Colin Miller //1966
4 of 8 images. more


There was a signal box at this location. The box was on the south side of the line and east of the Shilford overbridge. Up and down sidings were planned but not laid in, however a crossover was installed.
...

More details
156502 on the descent to Barrhead from Shilford Summit. View looks to Barrhead. 30 years on from my last visit to this location see image 7737 - ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017
5.30 pm St Enoch - Midland Express. Climbing to Shilford. 5X 4.6.0 5715. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
In the hills above Shilford on a spring afternoon in late March 1962. The train is the 5.12pm Glasgow Central - Uplawmoor and the locomotive is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/03/1962
Mogul 2909 on Up Goods on Neilston Bank. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
4 of 12 images. more


This was a two platform station with the main building on the Glasgow bound platform.
...

More details


A box 'Dixon's Pit No 2' opened here with the line in 1871. Sidings were on the west side of the line, approached from the north and making a trailing connection. There was a signal box (west side).
...

More details


Lugton L&A Junction opened in 1903 between the 1871 Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway, (jointly owned by the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway), and the extension of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway opened in 1903 between Giffen Junction and Cathcart West Junction. The L&A junction opened as part of a short link joining the new line at [[Lugton ...

More details

See also
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway


This was a two platform station with the main station building on the Glasgow bound platform.
...

More details
Lugton signalbox, as seen in 1992.
...
Bill Roberton //1992
Lugton signal box viewed from a passing northbound train. ...
John Yellowlees 28/03/2018
The interior of Lugton signalbox in 1992. Quite a few white levers there. ...
Bill Roberton //1992
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55203 arriving at Lugton on 26 May 1956 with the Beith branch train. [Ref query 17 September 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/05/1959
4 of 33 images. more


This junction was directly south west of Lugton station. It was formed between the Glasgow - Barrhead - Kilmarnock line and the branch to Beith Town. The junction was taken out before 2009 when the 'Dynamic Loop' was opened from Lugton through Dunlop and Stewarton to its south end at Lochridge Junction.
...

More details


This is a two platform station. There is a small car park on the east side.
...

More details
A Glasgow to Carlisle service calls at the pleasant village of Dunlop on 21 February 2019. Like many such places, it seems to be completely devoid of ...
David Panton 21/02/2019
An up football special leaving Dunlop on 23 May 1953 behind Black 5 45266. [Ref query 2382] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 23/05/1953
View over Dunlop station showing progress on 13 May 2009. ...
Ken Browne 13/05/2009
The 11.05 for Kilmarnock runs into the station at Dunlop on 31 May 2011. ...
Colin Miller 31/05/2011
4 of 22 images. more


This is a two platform station. The line was redoubled in 2009. The northbound platform was reinstated. There is a car park at this station.
...

More details
40571 photographed near Stewarton with a Kilmarnock local on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 22 July 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
A quiet half hour at Stewarton on 31 August 2018, with only the barrels on the platform. The view is towards Glasgow. ...
John McIntyre 31/08/2018
A Glasgow to Carlisle service calls at Stewarton on 21 February 2019. In the early 1970s this station, along with Dunlop, was down to two trains a day ...
David Panton 21/02/2019
Jubilee 45640 Frobisher photographed at Stewarton with a St Enoch - Dumfries train on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 6 May 2019] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
4 of 18 images. more


This is a double track masonry viaduct of ten arches crossing the Annick Water. The viaduct is south of Stewarton station. It is 555 ft long.
...

More details
Tamper paused on the viaduct south of Stewarton. The view looks east. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
The impressive 10 arch Annick Water Viaduct (1868) to the south of Stewarton station. Photographed in June 2007 looking south west along the A735. ...
John Furnevel 17/06/2007
2 of 2 images.


This is not a junction in the traditional sense, it is the south end of a loop from Lugton in the north.
...

More details
Sprinter 156514 working 1L55 south to Carlisle on 28 August 2016. The train is south of Stewarton, where the double tracks become single. ...
Ken Browne 28/08/2016
This location is south of Stewarton near where the double track becomes single. GBRf 66743 is heading south to Kilmarnock to join with stable mate ...
Ken Browne 28/08/2016
Milepost 18 midway between Stewarton Viaduct and a roadbridge over the A735 where a fuel oil train heading south for Riccarton derailed on 27 January ...
Ewan Crawford /01/2008
This is the south end of the loop from Lugton, about 1/3 mile on from the bridge replaced south of Stewarton. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
4 of 4 images.


This is a minimal modern single platform station opend in 1984. The platform is on the west side of the single track line. There is a small station car park.
...

More details
The former goods shed at Kilmaurs in February 2012 with the station platforms to the left. ...
Ken Browne 08/02/2012
156439 leads a 4-car 156 for Kilmarnock at Kilmaurs on 19 September 2017. Kilmaurs is the only single track station on the Glasgow - Dumfries - ...
David Panton 19/09/2017
The former goods shed at Kilmaurs showing the former vehicular entrance on 8 February 2012. The buildings had a variety of uses following closure by ...
Ken Browne 08/02/2012
The 10.13 to Kilmarnock stands at Kilmaurs on 16 October 2010. ...
Ken Browne 16/10/2010
4 of 18 images. more


This junction gave access, from the north to the joint goods station to the north of Kilmarnock station and connection to Kilmarnock station at Kilmarnock Junction.
...

More details
The up 'Thames-Clyde Express' passing Kilmarnock no 1 box on 6 May 1954. Locomotives are 2P 4-4-0 40592 and Royal Scot 4-6-0 46112 Sherwood ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
From left to right; distllery headshunt, line from Barrhead, [and then in the trees] stub of line from Dalry, Long Lyes Sidings. In the foreground was ...
Ewan Crawford //2005
Looking East straight down the Barrhead line to Kilmarnock station in (unfortunately) bright morning sunshine after rain, from the Western Road ...
Robert Blane 08/10/2009
BR 'Peak' D26 accelerates north on the Barrhead line with the down Thames-Clyde Express shortly after leaving Kilmarnock station in June ...
Bill Hamilton /06/1961
4 of 10 images. more


In 1843 the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway opened to Kilmarnock [1st]. This location is where the passenger station (Kilmarnock [1st], to the north) and goods lines (Kilmarnock Goods, to the south) parted.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway
GBRf 66732 working 6E95 Greenburn Keir Mining to Drax south through Kilmarnock station heading for Drax. ...
Ken Browne 06/06/2016
Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 no 44673 leaves Kilmarnock on 2 June 1954 with the 8.15 am express for Glasgow St Enoch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 02/06/1954
Looking to Kilmarnock along the course of the closed GPK&AR. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
View from Western Road bridge, Kilmarnock as Colas 60021 starts up with 6D61 Riccarton to Grangemouth empty tanks on 31 august 2016. ...
Ken Browne 31/08/2016
4 of 12 images. more





Beith Branch

From Lugton Junction to Beith Town.

This junction was directly south west of Lugton station. It was formed between the Glasgow - Barrhead - Kilmarnock line and the branch to Beith Town. The junction was taken out before 2009 when the 'Dynamic Loop' was opened from Lugton through Dunlop and Stewarton to its south end at Lochridge Junction.
...

More details




Sidings serving Dixon's quarries at Waterland were controlled by 'Waterlands Siding' signal box. The sidings were located close to Lugton Junction on the Beith Town branch.
...

More details


The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line, opened 1888, started from here from the Beith Town branch of the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway of 1873 and ran south west to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier. The junction was immediately east of Barrmill station.
...

More details

See also
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway


This was a single platform station opened on the jointly owned Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway branch from Lugton Junction to Beith. This was built as a single track branch although many structures were built to accommodate a second track.
...

More details
Viaduct to the west of Barrmill station near the RNAD Giffen depot. ...
Ewan Crawford 07/10/2006
1 of 1 images.






This was a single platform terminus. There was a large goods yard on the east side of the site. To the south, on the west side, was a locomotive shed which was approached via reversing spur and a turntable. The terminus was approached from the south east.
...

More details
Beith, looking to the buffers in 1997. The line curved round to the right following Balfour Avenue. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
The station building at Beith Town in July 1962 with a diesel railcar standing at the platform. ...
Colin Miller 18/07/1962
A Railcar stands at Beith Town in July 1962, four months before closure. ...
Colin Miller 18/07/1962
3 of 3 images.





Kilmarnock Joint Goods

A short branch serving the joint goods north of the station.

This junction gave access, from the north to the joint goods station to the north of Kilmarnock station and connection to Kilmarnock station at Kilmarnock Junction.
...

More details
The up 'Thames-Clyde Express' passing Kilmarnock no 1 box on 6 May 1954. Locomotives are 2P 4-4-0 40592 and Royal Scot 4-6-0 46112 Sherwood ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
From left to right; distllery headshunt, line from Barrhead, [and then in the trees] stub of line from Dalry, Long Lyes Sidings. In the foreground was ...
Ewan Crawford //2005
Looking East straight down the Barrhead line to Kilmarnock station in (unfortunately) bright morning sunshine after rain, from the Western Road ...
Robert Blane 08/10/2009
BR 'Peak' D26 accelerates north on the Barrhead line with the down Thames-Clyde Express shortly after leaving Kilmarnock station in June ...
Bill Hamilton /06/1961
4 of 10 images. more