Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
This was a two platform station in typical Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway style of the Caledonian Railway.
The main station building was on the northbound platform. An example of this type of building still stands at Whitecraigs.
A goods yard was on the east side, accessed from the north. This had a long headshunt to the north. There were crossovers a both north and south ends of the station. The signal box was midway along the southbound platform.
After closure of the line south to Kilwinning East to regular passenger trains in 1932 it became a terminus for services from Glasgow Central. Trains continued to Lugton East Junction to run round. (The signal box closed in 1953.)
When the station closed, the name was re-used for Caldwell station which, in 1962, became Uplawmoor [2nd]. Neilston station became the terminus and the line was cut back from Lugton East Junction to Neilston.
The concrete platforms remain, very overgrown.
Not far to the north was the rail served Shillford Quarry. The next station towards Glasgow was Neilston and towards Ardrossan Lugton High.
Milliken Park [1st]
| Shillford Quarry|
Caldwell Ironstone Mine No 2
Lugton East Junction
Lugton East Sidings
Lugton L and A Junction
Neilston Gas Works
Barshagra Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Forgotten Railways: Scotland